Did You Know?

Travellers Rest is not at its original location. It was originally built at 147 Jefferson Street, just a few lots up from the Smith Tannery building.

Mr. Frank Raymond Harris served the Greenfield Schools as teacher, principal, and superintendent. He was the author of The Chronicle of Greenfield and the County McArthur, Itchin' Feet, A Greene Countrie Towne, and Hometown Chronicles. He died April 1, 1965, and in his will dated November 27, 1964, he left "a bequest of $20,000.00 to the Greenfield Historical Society, Inc. - to acquire the property known as Travellers Rest at 147 Jefferson Street".

On October 8, 1965, the buildings on the corner of Jefferson and North Second Streets were sold for the site of a super-service station. Included in this real estate transaction was the Travellers Rest Inn. A few days later, several "History Buffs" representing the historical society, city government, and the Rotary Club made their first public move to save Travellers Rest Inn. A delegation went to Cincinnati to confer with the purchasers. As a result, Mr. George M. Waddell made the announcement that the Dominion Land Trust Corp. will donate the Inn building and the Texaco Oil Company will grant extra ground as needed. On October 18th, demolition was underway. The west wall of Travellers Rest Inn was exposed, and the complete dismantling began immediately.

The dismantling completed, the next question was what to do with the saved building. Then in the Spring of 1966, severe spring winds damaged the old First Presbyterian Church which stood just across from the old Grain & Hay complex and adjacent to the Old Burying Ground. By the following October it was decided by the City Council that the brick church must be torn down as a "safety measure." The question was then advanced by Editor Pat Schrock: "How would the rebuilt Travellers Rest Inn appear on that old church site?". So in March, 1967, the Board of Trustees approved by a vote of 6-0 the proposal that the dismantled Travellers Rest Inn be restored on the site of the old Presbyterian Church.

The actual reconstruction of Travellers Rest began in August, 1968, with work continuing over the next few years. The "restored" building was constructed from the original stone and some of the timber and finishing woods which were first used in the 1812 building. On December 29, 1974, a formal "Open House" was held.



See a booklet created by Miss Grace Blake describing Travellers Rest and the reconstruction timeline.

Travellers Rest

Travellers Rest was built by Noble Crawford in 1812. It was the first stone house in Greenfield. and also served as Greenfield's first post office, established on June 25, 1813. Noble Crawford was the first postmaster. For well over a century it was used as a private home. When acquired by the Historical Society, it was moved to its current location on McArthur Way and is used as the museum and headquarters for the Greenfield Historical Society. Many Greenfield artifacts are on display here and it is used for meetings and other events. Adjoining it is the Old Burial Ground where many of Greenfield's early citizens are buried.

 


 


 


 


 

 

Visit our online Museum Shop for many gift items we have for sale.

The Greenfield Historical Society
PO Box 266
Greenfield, Ohio 45123
(937)981-7890